Thursday, May 6, 2010
Steam Machine, 2008
With this work I was inviting the viewer to examine and interact with the objects function rather than the object itself, that being steam.
Illuminating the steam with light instead of the object redirects ones attention to the often times ignored and unappreciated beauty of an everyday occurrence. The same might be said for the mysterious object that produces the steam, a series of old drink cans and bits and pieces of old pipe and tubing sitting on top of a small gas cooker. Nothing presented is particularly seen as special out of the context I have put it in. Steam is seen at home, in cafes, outside drycleaners, etc… The object is improvised from common materials used by us all. I think one thing I wanted to say was, “can you see what you can do with this stuff that most people throw away?” Anyone can do it. Re-appropriation is over looked way too much.
