Thursday, May 6, 2010

Illustration in Abandoned House


It's 4 in the morning, I just finished painting some control masts in an abandoned house and want to leave, but the rain is pissing down and I've got no wet-weather gear. I guess I'll wait it out. When I arrived the night sky was clear as, so I hadn't anticipated that I'd need anything to keep my stuff dry. The room I painted has a noose hanging from the ceiling. I decided I'd bide my time inside the same room and write this. Even though I am totally convinced the noose is some joke another visitor to this house is playing it still creeps me out. I take out my lighter and melt the rope so I can take it down. I don't have a knife, so the lighter was my next most appropriate tool to use for such a job. I doubt a knife would cut the nylon rope very easily, anyway. The only light I have is from an old hurricane lantern I got for $2 from a junk sale on the side of a highway. The lantern is actually quite bright, especially when my eyes properly adjust to the right levels. I can hear now that the rain has stopped. I think I'll pack up my stuff and go now.

India ink on wallpaper

Best embiggened.